Construction works for the final resting place for Zimbabwe’s founding father former President Robert Mugabe began in Harare this week.
Preparatory work for the construction of a mausoleum could be seen at the top of the National Heroes Acre with work on the design however yet to be completed.
President and First Secretary of the ZANU PF Party Cde Emmerson Mnangagwa last week highlighted that burying the late former President at the top of the hill would accord honour to the late founding father.
Local Government, Public Works and National Housing Deputy Minister Jennifer Mhlanga said the cost of the mausoleum would be known once the design was completed.
The word mausoleum derives from the Mausoleum at Halicarcassus (Turkey) where King Mausolus lies and this is considered one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world.
Notable leaders that have been buried in mausoleums include that of Laurent Kabila's mausoleum in Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Heroes Square in Mozambique, Mausoleum of Late President Levy Mwanawasa, Fredrick Chiluba and Michael Sata at Embassy Park in Lusaka Zambia and Kamuzu Banda mausoleum in Lilongwe Malawi.
There are other mausoleums dotted across the world with Qianling mausoleum in China, along with 17 others in auxiliary tombs, others in India, Pakistan,
What is interesting is that Zimbabwe’s National Heroes is also considered a mausoleum. These mausoleums at least most of them have become buzzing tourist attractions where millions of tourists travel to.
- Beitbrige Road Construction: Towards Vision 2030
- CDE SIKHOSANA A PARTY STALWART: PRESIDENT MNANGAGWA
- Zim@40: CONGRATULATIONS ZIMBABWE, CDE GOMO
- The late National Hero Cde Absolom Sikhosana’s body flown to his farm
- Zimbabwe at 40: The Transformation of our Education System
- Repatriation of First Chimurenga heroes: Update
- THE 1ST INDEPENDENCE DAY ASPIRATIONS MUST REMAIN ALIVE: PRESIDENT MNANGAGWA
- ZANU PF DIRECTOR AWARDED FOR PEACE
- GREAT REVOLUTIONARY GONE
- Never tire to work for National Unity: President
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?