He is a man of political Excellency who throughout his entire has invested in the liberation of Zimbabwe.
Born from a political family which was forced to relocate to Zambia due to their strong resistance against the oppressive system then.
He joined UNIP at tender age in 1961 occupying the position of Secretary of the Youth League in Lusaka , Zambia . In 1962 he was recruited into ZAPU by Willie Masarurwa and subsequently moved to Tanganyika Mbeya with James Chikerema , Clement Muchachi, and Danha where they opened on 1 ZAPU CAMP.
Ln 1963 he received his first military training in Egypt and subsequently China where he received infantry and engineering at Nanjing Training school.
In 1964 he attended the ZANU PF Gweru Congress which saw likes of
- Ndabaningi Sithole being elected as President ZANU;
- Herbert Willshire Hamandishe Chitepo as National Chairman;
- Leopold Takawira as Vice President, and
- Cde R. G Mugabe as Secretary General
Due to his thorough military training he and other colleague terrorist were given deadly assignment to blow locomotive train on Fort Victoria now Masvingo.
Cde E. D Mnangagwa was captured by Inspector Beans Bradshaw and Smith and Michael Mshwema” s house in 1965.
- Tortured and lost hearing in one ear.
- Escaped death sentence due to under age and this influenced him never to support death sentence
- Detained at Harare Prison (1year), Greys Prison, and Khami Prison and spent 6 years and 8 months with Cde.R.G. Mugabe, Eno’sNkala, Morris Nyagumbo, Edgar Tekere and Didymus Mutasa before release for deportation to Zambia in 1973 via Victoria Falls and was received by Peter Baya IN 1973 -1976. Sadly, some of his colleagues Master Tresha was sentenced to life prison, Dhlamuini and Mlambo were first to be executed.
- While in Zambia he completed his Law Degree at the University of Zambia and continued working for the Party in Zambia.
- In 1977, he was recalled to Mozambique and elected as Special Assistant to the President and Member of the National Executive of ZANU at the Chimoio Congress.
- In that capacity he was head of both Military and Civil Intelligence deputized by the late General (retired) Musungwa Gava Zvinashe. He was member of High Command and Member of Central Committee.
- ln 1980, he led the first group of Comrades D. Mutasa, Edison Zvobgo and the late General Rex (Mujuru) Nhongo from Maputo to Harare during the ceasefire.
- After elections in 1980, he was appointed Minister of National Security and headed the Joint High Command during the integration of ZNA.
- After the Unity Accord in 1987, he became the Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs as well as Leader of the house in 1988, a portfolio he held up to 2000.
- Acted as Minister of Finance in 1995 to 1996.
- Acted as Minister of Foreign Affairs for a short period.
- He was Speaker of Parliament from 2000 to 2005.
- He was Minister of Rural Housing and Social Amenities from2005 to 2009
- He became Minister of Defence from 2009 to 2013 when he was appointed Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs.
- As Vice President, he was responsible for supervision of Economic Ministries.
- On 19 December 2017, ZANU PF Central Committee nominated him President and First Secretary of ZANU PF after recalling the then President and First Secretary.
- Nominated President of the Republic of Zimbabwe and inaugurated on 24 November 2017.
- He has SET economic recovery as the priority of his Administration.